Here are some very easy hacks to paint like a pro… from a pro
Painting is an easy and inexpensive way to modernize your home and add charm and elegance to it. DIY painting can be fun. You can tailor it any way you want to and get the desired results. However, painting can be tricky if you are new to it and haven’t had any previous hands-on experience.
A painting job can go south if a few basics are not kept in mind. The experts from Encore Painting are here to share 5 remarkable hacks for an interior painting project. Follow these hacks to paint like a pro.
Paint in Dry Weather
- Hot and dry weather is the most ideal time to take on a painting project. If the weather is humid, it will prolong the drying time and the paint will drip and run. Do not paint on rainy days. Slow-drying will create quite a mess.
Box Your Paint to Achieve A Consistent Color
Even the same shades of paint from the same manufacturer can differ slightly from one paint can to another. These differences become prominent when paint from the different cans are applied adjacent to each other on a wall.
- If you think one can of paint is not sufficient, we recommend you to mix a couple of paint cans in one big bucket. A 5 gallons bucket of paint is enough for a room. The process of mixing paints in one bucket is called boxing. Boxing saves you from the trouble of opening a new can every now and then and getting uneven shades across your walls.
Tape the Edges for a Smooth Look
To get a neat finish, use painter’s tape along the edges of walls, ceilings, trim, and molding. Taping off the edges will help you get clean and distinguished paint lines. Taping these areas will also save the underlying surfaces from getting unwanted paint splashes.
- The tape will act as a sealant and give you defined margins. Make sure to wipe off the edges, trims, and moldings before putting the tape as dust reduces the sticking capacity of the tape.
Clean the Surfaces Before Applying Paint
Another important hack is to clean the surfaces before applying paint. Dirt and oil decrease the adhesiveness of the paint. Applying paint over greasy or dirty surfaces will lead to its chipping off. We recommend you to clean the surfaces with a special cleaner specially customized for cleaning walls or with a deglosser.
- Take a soft, lint-free cloth and spray some paint cleaner on it. Wipe the surface by rubbing the cloth in circular motions on the wall. In the process of cleaning, if you discover any holes in the wall, fill them with sand and smooth them over. This will help you achieve an even finish of the wall.
Cleaning detergents can be caustic so make sure you wear gloves and protect your eyes before using them.
Use Primer to Avoid Flashing
- A primer is used as a preparatory coating before the paint is applied. It covers all imperfections and increases the adhesivity of the paint. A primer is especially needed if you fill in the cracks with sanding material. Applying paint right over sanding material will remove the moisture from the paint and make the paint appear dull.
The lackluster appearance of paint due to the removal of moisture is called flashing. To prevent flashing, experts recommend using a primer before applying paint. It is recommended to use a tainted primer rather than using a plain white primer. Tainted primer does a better job of covering the imperfections.
Encore painting is located in McKinney, Texas. They provide interior painting services at reasonable rates.