When to Use Mildew Resistant Paints & Stains
Have you spotted mildew growth anywhere in your home? Mildew grows in damp areas, which means it’s likely to form on your bathroom or basement walls. Can mildew resistant paint, primers, and staining help eliminate mildew from your walls? Yes—with the right preparation.
Painting Mildew-Prone Walls: Start with a Clean and Dry Foundation
Painting over mildew won’t get rid of it. The affected area will need cleaning first. Following the proper preparation before painting is critical here.
Note: if you are DIY-ing this project, be sure to wear gloves, protective eyewear, and clothes you don’t mind getting bleach on.
- Mix a solution of three parts water and one part bleach. (Do NOT add ammonia or any other cleaning solutions to this mix.)
- Wipe the solution onto the walls or other affected area with a cloth or sponge, taking care to wipe carefully. It’s essential to keep the mildew from becoming airborne, which is why you shouldn’t use a brush.
- Let the solution sit for 10 minutes.
- Wipe the solution off, then rinse with clean water.
- Allow the surface to dry completely.
When you are sure that the surface is thoroughly dry, apply a mildew-resistant primer or paint. At Encore, we use:
- Sherwin-Williams Bath Paint – This washable paint resists mildew growth for a minimum of five years.
- Loxon Concrete & Masonry Primer/Sealer – We use this primer on brick, concrete, exterior insulated siding, fiber cement siding, plaster, and concrete.
Preventing Mildew in New or Remodeled Spaces
Give your new bathroom or basement a fresh start with mildew-resistant paint. In a brand-new or remodeled bathroom, be sure to coat the walls and ceilings. In a basement, you can apply mildew-resistant paint just to the bases of the walls or the entire space.
But mildew-resistant paint can’t fight moisture and humidity on its own in a bathroom. A proper bath ventilation system is essential to keeping the room mildew-free.
Let Us Do the Dirty Work: Interior Painting Services in Collin County
Don’t want to deal with mildew? Don’t worry! Encore Painting can take care of your interior mildew-resistant paint job.
Every Encore paint project starts with meticulous preparation. Our team:
- Clears the room. Our pro team will remove any movable furniture and belongings from the place. If there are unremovable items, they will be moved to the center of the room and completely covered with a heavy-duty drop cloth.
- Covers and protects the floors. We take the utmost care when it comes to protecting your floors from damage. Our team will cover the floors and do the appropriate trim taping when necessary.
- Cleans the walls. A clean wall is the best canvas. We will scrub down your walls with a mild cleanser, rinse them, and allow them to dry completely before applying the primer.
For a complete interior paint job Contractors in the Collin County area, call the professionals at Encore Painting at 972-464-7205. Or get a free estimate by filling out our online form.
About Encore Painting
Encore Painting is proud to be locally owned and operated company. We offer a wide range of residential interior and exterior painting and other home services. Our teams unique capabilities are virtually endless! We also provide free estimates and unbeatable prices.
Get started today: Call us at 972-464-7205 or request a free estimate!
Are you Wondering if we paint in your neighborhood? Check out our list of service areas or give us a call.