So you have just recently moved to a new home and now your not quite satisfied with the interior wallpaper. Or maybe you are trying to sell your home and want to get the best value from the deal and you want to strip the old wallpapers and give the interior walls a brand new look.
Whatever the case is, you have made up your mind to swap the wallpaper with a new one or replace it with a fresh coat of paint. Despite having a bad reputation, wallpaper can easily come off.
Encore Painting, which has been providing interior painting services in Mckinney, Texas, has shared a few simple and easy steps to help you remove that old wallpaper and give a shiny new look to your room.
Remove Interior Wall Paper With These 4 Easy Steps
Before you begin your task, it is important to grab the right tools and supplies. Here’s what you are going to need to get the job done.
- A sponge
- Paint scraper
- Scrubbing brush
- Spray bottle
- Streamer (for extraordinary stubborn wallpaper)
Step # 1
- Start by stripping off the surface layer of the wallpaper by using the wallpaper scraper. Peel it from the back by starting from the corners.
Step # 2
- Use a wet sponge to loosen the backing of the wallpaper and scrape it off the wall. You can soak the sponge over the surface of the paper and let it sit there for about 10-15 minutes for the best results.
Step # 3
- Use the spray to remove any remaining wallpaper that refuses to come off. You can even use all-purpose cleaners to get these spots sorted out.
Step # 4
- If you are not getting the results you hoped for, you can use a scoring tool to scratch away the paper. It will help you loosen it. But remember, doing so will probably damage the paint and the wall a bit, so be ready to patch up and repaint that area.
For wallpapers that refuse to come off, you can use a streamer to get them off before you scrape.
- Now that you have successfully removed the old wallpaper, what should you do with your wall now? For starters, you could hire a professional like Encore Painting to install a new wallpaper for you.
Or if you are bored with wallpapers, it is perfectly fine to replace the paper with a fresh new coat of interior paint. There are many things you can do with the wall. For example, if the room belongs to small children, why not opt for a creative paint project?
- Or maybe you want to experiment with different colors on different sections of the wall? Whatever you desire, you can make it happen when the wallpaper is properly removed.
For the future, we highly recommend working with a professional especially if you are going for new wallpaper. If the paper is properly installed, it will come off easily the next time you want to change it.